Comprehensive dental examination
Every year, millions of people require treatment for tooth decay and gum disease.With good dental education and a regular oral hygiene routine, many of these conditions can be prevented.
Keeping your mouth healthy will minimise decay and gum disease progression.
An effective brushing and flossing routine will keep your mouth healthy and your smile bright.
At Sensational Smiles Dental a comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your Dentist at your initial dental visit and at your regular 6 monthly check-up exams.
Your examination will include the following:
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Checking current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays/OPG: These are essential for detection of decay, tumours, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: examining your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: examining your gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Oral Hygiene Education & Dietary Advice
Professional dental cleaning
At your initial dental visit and your regular 6 monthly check-up exams your Dental Hygienist will also perform a professional clean which will include:
Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of gum disease.
- Teeth polishing: This helps remove staining and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
- Topical Fluoride Application: This strengthens the teeth once they have erupted by seeping into the outer surface of the tooth enamel, making the teeth more resistant to decay. You should have a professional application of fluoride twice a year during dental check-ups.
It is important to remember that along with preventive dentistry to avoid dental decay you must brush at least twice a day, floss regularly, eat balanced meals, reduce sugary snacks, and visit your Sensational Smiles Dentist and Dental Hygienist on a regular basis.